Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Buffa-love and beyond: 2015 goals

I’m not a resolution person – I prefer to set goals. If you don’t follow through with a resolution, it feels like failure – goals can be broken into smaller pieces and it feels like an accomplishment when you complete something leading to that bigger goal.

Goals can include places to go, things to do, ideas to follow through on – that’s where I’m going with this list: exploration, self-improvement and business improvement.

Personal:
  • Declutter the house – a strange thing has happened: I’ve become an HGTV addict (and not just because the Scott Brothers are easy on the eyes…but it helps!). I’ve been in my home going on 15 years, and I’m getting the redecorating bug. Part of that bug includes getting rid of some “stuff” – you know, “stuff.”
  • Stay healthy – I’m at a crossroads when it comes to fitness: to stay with my gym or ditch it altogether. My favorite instructor is no longer at my gym, and I’m not sure the other instructors have what it takes to keep me interested. Leaving the gym would be cheaper, and I’ve got plenty of DVDs and equipment to keep me occupied at home…so while I make the decision, I’ve just got to keep on doing what I’m doing.
  • Cook and bake more – I have another addiction: baking blogs…and cookbooks! I need to use my kitchen more often than I do – I love being there, but just don’t seem to have the time, which leads me to…
  • More “me” time – when painting my nails becomes a chore, it’s time to step back and find some time for myself! All of the above items will only get done if I take more time for myself.

Business:
  • Revamp my website – I’d had the same website look for at least three years, but now I want to focus the site less on writing and more on photography. I’ll still have links to my writing samples, but as I start covering more races and traveling more, I want to focus on the photography end of my business.
  • Improve social media presence – I’ve gotten really good at posting things to Pinterest, and I’m getting better with Facebook…I’m not a huge fan of self-promotion on Facebook, because I don’t want to flood people’s timelines, so I try to focus things on my fan pages.
  • Kick off photography business – now that I’m getting more comfortable covering races, I want to focus on getting some business from drivers, teams, series and tracks.
  • Set a publishing schedule and keep it! – this has been tough, as I’ve been balancing my pieces for Examiner with blog posting and photography work – oh, and the full-time job, which is especially painful at this time of year. I will get better!

Travel:
  • Third trip to Yankee Stadium – so far, it looks like a go – I need to get there again before too many more plaques go up in Monument Park!
  • Visit 10 or more race tracks – last season, I hit seven, plus a museum. I think this is totally doable.
  • Explore Buffalo – each year, I get to see a little bit more of the area I’ve lived in my entire life but have never really explored.
  • Keep up with travel posts – this links in with my business goals as well. Last year, I missed a couple of trips, so the goal is to get this year’s explorations up within a week if possible


What are your goals for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment