Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How Does My Garden Grow: 2014 Garden Update

In the early days of BfloGirlWorld, I previewed my garden ideas for 2014 – veggies, zinnias and my first theme garden, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy garden. Here’s a quick update on those topics and others.

Harvest!
Veggies – the vegetable gardens are booming! June provided lots of lettuce as well as strawberries, and July started the next round of harvesting: beans, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes – cherry and “full-sized.” Some Roma tomato seeds I got for free and planted in late May – not expecting much – are producing: there are lots of little Romas growing! I have more beans and lettuce planted in containers right now, as well as some radishes, which were the only thing I tried and was disappointed by.

Zinniasvery disappointing, thanks in great part to my bunnies L They’re starting to come around now, but not as plentiful as they were last year.

Jedi Free Spirit
The Sci-Fi/Fantasy garden – there was one plant I left out of my preview piece, mostly because I had given up on it. Guess what? It bloomed! I bought the Jedi Free Spirit daylily a few years ago – it was actually my first Star Wars plant. For the last two years, it grew foliage, but no flowers. I got discouraged, and wasn’t sure what to do with it. When it started growing this year, I did what any gardener would likely do – I talked to it. Told it how pretty it was, how it would be even prettier with a flower or two (yes, gardeners do that!). Thank you for listening Jedi Free Spirit! The rest of the garden is doing well too, especially the Dark Angel Star Wars dahlia – talk about a garden take-over! I’m already planning expansion for next year, even if it’s just to give everything more breathing room.

A welcome surprise – I have a corner on my front porch that is just made for shade containers, and I’ve got a shelf unit that makes it even better. This is what the corner looks like this year:

my shady corner
I loooooove this little corner of happiness! Some of the plants I used include Wizard Coral Sunrise Coleus, Fusion Peach Frost and Fusion Glow Yellow Exotic Impatiens, Kong Jr. Green Halo Coleus, Electric Lime Coleus, Million Kisses Honeymoon and Devotion Begonias, Vino Coleus, Superbells Grape Punch Calibrachoa, Aurora Coleus, Ragtime Petunia and Fuse-ables Coleus.

all photos: paulathompsonfreelance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment