Wednesday, December 16, 2015

BfloGirlGeek: I find my lack of excitement disturbing…

I still remember the first time I saw Star Wars: I was at the drive-in with my mom and grandma, and I wasn’t there to see Star Wars (maybe a Herbie movie…?). But I was turned around in the back of the station wagon all night watching these space ships flying around, and while I couldn’t hear what was going on, I was a visually-stimulated 4-year-old at that moment, and that continued on for – yikes! –nearly 40 years now.

credit: imgur
Star Wars was special growing up: three movies in seven years, labeled Episodes IV, V and VI; obviously, I, II and III were inevitable, and – while they left something to be desired at times – they resparked the interest of the old fans and brought about a legion of new fans. Sequels, in the form of movies, weren’t really needed – the Expanded Universe (comics, cartoons, books and more) expanded on the stories quite well, giving fans a look back and a look ahead.

Then came Disney.

20+ years of writing and visualization in the Expanded Universe went out the window at Disney’s command – and there were some great stories in there (I really wanted to see Mara Jade in live action). Then they announced there would be six movies released in about five years, beginning with Episode 7 in December 2015. Six movies in 28 years versus six movies in five years = no longer “special.”

I really want to be excited for this, and part of me is – I want to see what this alternate Star Wars universe looks like compared to the old Expanded Universe. But that’s what it feels like right now – Star Wars meets Sliders (I loved that show): same world, similar characters, alternate universe. I feel like I’m going to see it just to get it over with.

I hope I’m wrong and it’s awesome – reviews have been literally out of this world amazing – but, to use a popular line from the original trilogy, “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment