Sunday, September 14, 2014

Food Nostalgia: Bread ‘n Butter Pickles

One of my most vivid childhood food memories is of my grandma’s (“Grammy”) bread ‘n butter pickles. The stuff in the jar is good, but there’s always something that makes homemade better (sorry, Vlasic).

I had often thought, especially after I started vegetable gardening, about asking my mom if she knew where the recipe was but 1) I kept forgetting and 2) I knew it would take a while to make them.


One day, I was sorting through the many food-related emails I’ve signed up for and found Homemade Microwave Pickles from Mr. Food – and they looked like bread ‘n butter pickles! I printed the recipe out, took it over to Mom’s and she went and found Grammy’s recipe. When we compared the two, we discovered most of the ingredients were the same (Grammy’s had a few flavor extras like peppers and garlic), but the microwave recipe had its benefits – 1) it was faster and 2) it had a smaller yield.

A couple days later I picked the perfect cucumber to test the recipe out.

I think Grammy would be proud J

the finished product

Microwave Bread ‘n Butter Pickles (adapted from Mr. Food):
  • 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and mix well. Microwave uncovered for 5 minutes at 80-percent, stirring halfway through. Cool pickles before covering and chilling for at least two hours before serving.

photos: paulathompsonfreelance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment