|credit: Wikimedia Commons/|
Fall in Western New York is about craft fairs, fall festivals, haunted houses, and trick-or-treating – and local farms offering “u-pick” opportunities for families, giving kids and adults the fun of picking crops in the garden without all the work of tending the garden itself. Here are just a few of the area’s pick-your-own-harvest spots – take a road trip this weekend!
- Stonehill Orchard, 2356 Shirley Rd. in North Collins (14111), offers u-pick and already-picked apples and grapes; open daily 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. – call 716-337-2380 for more information.
- Meadows Farm, 10459 Prospect Rd. in Forestville (14062), offers u-pick and already-picked apples; open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. – call 716-965-2674 for more information.
- Becker Farms, 3724 Quaker Rd. in Gasport (14067), offers a variety of fruits and vegetables available in store, plus a u-pick pumpkin patch; also offers homemade baked goods and fudge plus on-site winery and brewery. Visit www.beckerfarms.com or call 716-772-2211 for more information and hours.
- Blackman Homestead Farm, 4472 Thrall Rd. in Lockport (14094), offers u-pick apples, pumpkins, grapes, winter squash and pears (in season). Check out www.blackmanhomesteadfarm.com or call 716-434-7116 for more information.
- Murphy Orchards, 2402 McClew Rd. in Burt (14028), offers u-pick apples, pears, pumpkins and more; visit www.murphyorchards.com or call 716-778-7926 for more information and hours.
- Greg’s U-Pick, 9270 Lapp Rd. in Clarence Center (14032), offers u-pick berries (in season) and pumpkins. Call 716-741-4239 or visit gregsupick.com for more information.