Wednesday, February 20, 2019

BfloGirlGarden: Five things I’ve learned from the Proven Winners trial plant program


A few years ago, when I was writing for Examiner and covering Buffalo Gardening, I was contacted by Proven Winners to be part of their trial plant program (score!). I already loved PW products and used a number of their annuals every year, so this seemed like a great way to try out some plants I might not have thought to purchase. Here are a few things I’ve learned from PW going into the 2019 gardening season (I have faith that it IS coming!!).

2015
Experimenting with plants is fun! I would often experiment with color, but this way I learned to use different plants and had to make sure they “meshed” well  (light needs, water needs, etc.).

I really like hydrangeas. I was never really a shrub person, but I’ve really enjoyed watching these grow (I have three now). It’s also inspired me to redo the garden they’re in to give them some more room.

2016
Clematis are crazy. I’ve had Pink Mink Clematis for four years, and I’m on my third trellis, each one larger than the last, because these things grow like mad.

Sometimes it’s good to stick with the classics. Petunias, calibrachoas and coleus just make me happy, and PW has amazing specimens of each.

2017
Being able to give a “sneak peak” of new plants makes me feel rock-star-like. When a neighbor walks over and says “What is that?!?!” and you say “Oh, Proven Winners sent me that – it’s available next year…” #plantrockstar

After more than 100 inches of snow, I’m yearning for spring and garden season even more! Thank you Proven Winners for letting me participate in this program!

2018
**Follow me on Instagram for random garden photos, PW trial plant updates and more!**


No comments:

Post a Comment