Monday, March 25, 2019

BfloGirlGarden: Plantasia in Paradise 2019


I’m not sure why this year felt different than others (perhaps it was the 19 straight days I worked in late January thanks to the weather…), but I am sooooo ready for spring…like, right now!

This weekend I took a stroll through this year’s edition of Plantasia – “Plantasia in Paradise” – at the Hamburg Fairgrounds, and it gave me just enough of the good feels to make it through to “real spring!”

“Paradise” included putting greens, outdoor kitchens, water features, lighting ideas and, of course, plenty of plants. There were also plenty of vendors (maybe a few too many for my taste) and lots of people (who were probably just like me – looking for spring inspo!).

A few things I noticed:
  • Garden art is still a thing (here in WNY at least!): like this guy, who would look great in Khaleesi’s Garden… 
      
  • “Funky geraniums” were everywhere: whether because they were available or because they’re cool (I vote for the last!), the fancy-leaf geraniums that I’ve adored for the last few years were all over the place. The multi-colored foliage looked great against the dark mulch backgrounds, but I’ve always enjoyed them in containers (because they overwinter well in my basement! #bonusplantsforthewin).
  • I need an elderberry shrub: I first saw elderberry outside of the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens, and fell in love with it because it looks like a Japanese maple. I found out later that it’s less expensive and more durable than Japanese maples – that sounds like a winner to me!
  • There were many different versions of “paradise” on display: for golfers, the putting green; for cooks and entertainers, the outdoor kitchen and specialty lighting. Unfortunately, I didn’t think there was enough on display for garden DIYers like me – containers, raised beds, garden art, garden-to-table growing. Hopefully soon, I’ll get to play in my own version of “paradise!”


all photos: PaulaThompsonFreelance

No comments:

Post a Comment