Buffalo’s National Garden Festival is now Garden Walk Buffalo Niagara, and its purpose is to expose the area and the world to the great gardening ideas and destinations in the Buffalo-Niagara region. Garden Walk Buffalo Niagara gets underway Saturday and Sunday, June 20th and 21st with Lewiston GardenFest and ends on Saturday, August 8th with the East Side Momentum Tour. Needless to say, this is my favorite festival of the entire summer!
There are 15 garden walks and tours scheduled for the 2015 event:
- Lewiston GardenFest – Saturday and Sunday, June 20th and 21st
- Parkside Garden Tour – Sunday, June 28th
- Samuel P. Capen Garden Walk – Saturday, July 11th
- Town of Amherst Garden Walk – Saturday, July 11th
- Buzz Around Hamburg Garden Walk and Fair – Saturday and Sunday, July 11th and 12th
- Lockport in Bloom – Saturday and Sunday, July 11th and 12th
- Snyder-CleveHill Garden View – Sunday, July 12th
- Lancaster Garden Walk – Friday through Sunday, July 17th through 19th
- Ken-Ton Garden Tour – Friday through Sunday, July 17th through 19th
- Grand Gardens of the Niagara Portage –Saturday, July 18th
- Village of Williamsville Garden Walk – Saturday, July 18th
- West Seneca Garden and Home Tour – Saturday and Sunday, July 18th and 19th
- South Buffalo Alive – Sunday, July 19th
- Garden Walk Buffalo – Saturday and Sunday, July 25th and 26th
- The Black Rock and Riverside Tour of Gardens – Saturday, August 1st
On Thursdays and Fridays during July, Garden Walk Buffalo Niagara will feature open gardens in 13 separate areas in the region, as well as numerous public gardens. More than 90 private and public gardens will be available for viewing, with 20 new gardens for 2015 – find the list of open gardens, days and times here.
Also among the events are three motorcoach tours hosted by local gardening expert Sally Cunningham and Horizon Club Tours’ Great Garden Travel program.
- On Sunday, July 12th, check out “Herb Gardens, Flowers and Pollinators,” including a trip to the Cats Tail Farm Herbal Center, a behind-the-scenes look at Mike Weber Greenhouses, a visit to Masterson’s bee yard and more.
- On Friday, July 17th, “Famous Buffalo Gardens and Architecture” visits some of Buffalo’s famous gardens, as well as some of the area’s historical sites and architectural treasures.
- On Thursday, July 23rd, “Fabulous Flower Gardens, Hamburg and the Lake Shore” explores private gardens and the professionally designed gardens at Wanakah Country Club along with a local daylily farm.
Each tour includes roundtrip motorcoach transportation and a meal, as well as all taxes and fees. For more information and to sign up for these tours and others offered by the Great Garden Travel program, visit the Great Garden Travel website or www.horizonclubtours.com.
Garden education is an ongoing topic of interest, even when there’s snow in the air and on the ground. A number of garden centers and nurseries, including Lockwoods Garden Center, Menne Nursery and Urban Roots Garden Center, have educational seminars going on right now – click here for the schedule.
Find more information about Garden Walk Buffalo Niagara at nationalgardenfestival.com.
all photos: 2014 National Garden Festival - paulathompsonfreelance.com.