Saturday, December 20, 2014

My 12 songs of Christmas

credit: Wikimedia Commons/Albertyanks
Even though I can only play it a few weeks out of the year, I love Christmas music. I have no idea how many Christmas CDs I have, but it’s a lot. Here are my 12 favorite Christmas songs (in no particular order), many of which I have on one CD or another.
  • Snoopy’s Christmas – The Royal Guardsmen. This is probably my dad’s favorite Christmas song – every time it comes on the radio, it gets louder. Tell me you can listen to this song and not see Snoopy in your mind flying around in his airplane…you can’t, I know it!
  • Christmas Dream – Perry Como. This was my grandmother’s favorite – even though I had the 45 (that’s vinyl, kiddies!) so Grammy could listen to it, I didn’t fully appreciate it until she was gone. And, yes, I bought a Perry Como CD just to have it.
  • My Favorite Things – Lorrie Morgan. As I mentioned here, I absolutely adore Lorrie Morgan’s version of this song – Kelly Clarkson’s is pretty good too.
  • I’ll Be Home For Christmas – Reba McEntire. Only Reba could take a holiday classic and give it an Oklahoma swing.
  • Two-Step ‘Round the Christmas Tree – Michael Martin Murphy and Suzy Bogguss. This one’s just fun.
  • Do They Know It’s Christmas? (original) – Band Aid. The original mega-collaboration for charity: I was really into Brit-pop in the ‘80s, and one of my favorites, Paul Young, opened up the song…people in the States are still going, “Who??”
  • Christmas Time – Bryan Adams. No explanation – just like it a lot.
  • What Christmas Means to Me – Paul Young. Yep, him again. This was a Stevie Wonder remake from the “A Very Special Christmas 2” CD.
  • Please Come Home for Christmas – The Eagles, Pat Benatar. Love the Eagles’ original, and of all the remakes, Pat Benatar’s is the best in my books.
  • Sleigh Ride – Debbie Gibson. Also on the “A Very Special Christmas 2” CD – lots of fun.
  • River – Sarah McLachlan. A Joni Mitchell remake, Sarah sings it beautifully.
  • Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses. “Bah Humbug, no that’s too strong ‘cause it is my favorite holiday.” Sassy ‘80s pop does Christmas – thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment